Sunday, May 24, 2009

Shut Your Eyes

Woah.
What the hell, people. Sorry I haven't written for a while. I am great at wasting good blogging time not on blogging. Eh, oh well. At least I am writing right now, right?

So let me think of when the last time I wrote. Hmm....before I came to Utah, correct? So it has been almost two months.
Two
Months.
That is one LONG time for me to not update people on life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Thanks, Jefferson, for letting me steal your words. He should have had those copyrighted when he wrote them. Then again, that would have gone against our innate rights. That is an intense thought to think about. We are enabled as people to have rights. They are ours; no one can take them away. It is incredible to think about how our nation was built upon that foundation, that we as a people, no, as a person, matter in this world. That is a pretty cool thought. Thanks, Thomas. May your soul rest in peace because of the work you have done.
I don't know if I would describe myself as a patriotic person. In fact, a couple of years ago, I loathed America. I didn't want do be associated with any part of it. I had this lushly romantic idea in my mind that I would meet a Spaniard, have a whirlwind romantic courtship, then live in Spain the rest of my life, taking on their traditions and outlook on life. I would still be fine with an attractive Spaniard courting me (or anyone at this point), but I think I would want to stay in the states. Ok, I would maybe move to Canada, but I think I would be thinking, "I am fine with the good ol' U.S.of.A.
I think I feel this way because of the growing up I have done and moving around the country. We live in a glorious time in the world. Even though there is torture controversy, swine flu, and countless civil wars in countries, we have it extremely well in the states. I have never had to go hungry, I have never felt like I was putting my life on the line for the beliefs and mindsets that I have. I have been around strong women and have been able to see how far we can go in life. We have it good; some people will never have what we have. At times I do feel overwhelmed with what I have and then seeing others' conditions. It is almost like the "why me?" train of thought, but in a different light.
Why was I born here?
Why have I always been well off?
Why do I still have anger and frustration towards the government and local law?
Why do I want to be somewhere else?
Being back east where our country was conceived, I get the chance to see history and what really was done for the past generations and what is being done for the future generations. Our forefathers had something in mind when they fought for this. It was so important to them, so life-giving to make sure that this country was founded. It was founded under God, under a Supreme Being, and made sure that everyone* had equal rights.These men--and women--put their lives on the line so that future generations would have this vision of life. Look at us now. We truly don't appreciate what we have in the country. We bicker, moan, and whine about what we "don't" have. Shut up already, people! You have more than you can imagine and so many people would kill for it.
So on this Memorial Day, I hope you all will truly try to realize what we all have in our lives. Remember our forefathers, their vision of this life. Remember our current soldiers, putting their lives in danger to continue to keep our freedom and to bring it to others. Our way isn't perfect, we have our flaws. We are so blessed to be here though. Please remember all who have died for this vision; don't let their deaths be in vain. I love this country. I love this freedom. Let's make them proud of this generation.
Cheers.
Ch.Wa.

*everyone meant different things back then. Look at the nation in its current time though: everyone really does mean everyone. Even though we have had to work a lot towards it, it has been accomplished. Smile on us, George, smile.

No comments: