Sunday, August 14, 2011

Today is great because there is no post on Sunday

Before I start writing about my "summer update" (aka, nothing really happened this summer except work, so I am just going to have to b.s. some stuff) I thought about one of my favorite moments of camp.

So there we all were, toasting marshmallows in coffee cans, when I brought up that we should all tell ghost stories. Now these kids were reasonable ages for stories. It's not like Connor or anyone like that was there. So we were all trying to think up of stories that we knew and then I remembered that I made up one when I was in sixth grade.

Now I was a super creative kid when I was.....a kid. I mean, sometimes (ok, probably most) I don't show off my creative vibes, but when I was younger they were showing alright. So we had an assignment or something in sixth grade that required us to write some sort of fiction. Since it was Halloween time, I thought that it would be super cool to write a scary story.

Uh, not too cool, Waterfall.

I came up with the creepiest story. I mean, it is not THAT original, but it freaked my little sixth grade self out. You see, what happened is that there are three girls house sitting. The house is near a penitentiary (original, I know) while they are there, though, a killer is on the loose. So the girls lock up all the doors, windows, etc. and they feel safe. Well, one of them gets hungry during the night so she goes down into the basement to get ice cream--or whatever--in the freezer. She doesn't come back up. The other girls are pretty freaked out. One of them decides to go down. She doesn't come back up either. So the last girl is just freaking out. If I were here, I would have just peed my pants, sad down, and cried. Maybe she did that. BUT she started hearing something from the basement.

THUMP. THUMP. THUMP.
thumpthumpthump.

She keeps on hearing it. So she is like, ok self, get a grip. She starts going down to the basement. There is blood EVERYWHERE. And then she sees it: Her friend lying dead on the ground and the other one with her legs trying to climb up the starts. THUMP. THUMP. THUMP.
thumpthumpthump.

Yeah, this was the story I decided to tell the kids. They were amazed that I came up with this. The boys loved me for this (Hermanos) and the two girls were pretty jealous. So then our ghost story time turned into "oh hey, let's just talk about serial killers." The creativity stopped there except for the way that people died.

Of course, none of the stories met up to my amazing one.

The next day, they came back and all of them were saying things like "Miss Chelsea, I had nightmares from your story," or "Oh hey, I couldn't get that story off my mind. I am so glad I live on the ground level already." Sometimes, I shouldn't be trusted with the little ones.

Also, I had a little gremlin that followed me for the last two weeks. No, she was not a REAL gremlin, but she earned the name (?) She was Ellie, the spunkiest, naughtiest seven year old I have ever met. She was super shy at first, so I sat with her the first good half an hour trying to have her talk and what not. Well, when she opened her mouth, it was evident that it would never shut again. For example, when we were making the s'mores (a lot happened that day) she just looked at me and shouted, "I'M BLACK AND I'M WHITE!" I just looked at her and said, "well you are pretty lucky cause you get to make two races on everything that asks for it. I only get to mark one."

That was our bonding moment.
Or
The moment that I lost all my freedom because of Ellie taking over my life.

Seriously, that girl could not leave me alone for the life of her. Between her and Connor, I had no say over anything. She became useful though when she decided that she was going to be my bodyguard. That led to her taking all the tags and whatnot in the games from me. I no longer had to sit and scream. Evolution would be proud of this.

Ok, so I guess I should try to figure out what I did this summer.
I sure didn't learn how to do a cartwheel.
Oh well, until next summer....

Uh...well, I went to one amazing concert in July. It had three incredible bands in it: The Devil Makes Three, Blind Pilot, and THE FANTASTIC JOSH RITTER. Seriously, I haven't been that giddy for a long time and it was quite embarrassing. Amazing music though and an amazing venue.

I made a couple friends in Bountiful. Two of them took me on a ride to see Satan's Mailbox. Now if you are like me, you are thinking, "What is this demonic madness?! Did someone make their mailbox to look like Satan?" Well, yes and no. While we were driving there, some song from the Lord of the Rings started playing and we were all freaking out because it just added to the suspense of this mailbox. Well, this mailbox is just a clear glass box with LED lights that change to all the colors of the rainbow. When it changes red, however, it is the deepest and scariest shade of red you will ever see. So that is why they call it Satan's Mailbox. Lame but cool at the same time.

**side note fact: I am terrified of the color red. Not when it is the paint of a car or a shirt, but when it is as a light. To me, it looks like blood and murder and I just get really nervous. So never decorate your house in plain red Christmas lights and you want me to visit you, because I won't.

Oh, during the month of June, every Tuesday one of the Lord of the Rings movies was played in an ACTUAL theatre. I had to go because it wasn't just in my house. I convinced (more like she begged) Stephanie to go with me and it was great. After the Fellowship, when we were leaving, she turned to the person next to us and said "We'll see you next week!" I was thinking, uh, what the hell. So I asked her what she was doing. Her reply? " We might as well make friends since we will be seeing them for the next two weeks."

One of the MANY reasons why she is my best friend.

So we did that. I will admit, I was freaking out about going cause, I don't know, I could be a nerd or something. Who cares, I just have horrible anxiety about social situations. It was seriously the best thing ever. I even keep the ticket stubs by Jesus in my wallet. That is how great it was.

I pretended that I jogged. Then I took a month off (aka July) I will start it up....tomorrow.

OH! I am now volunteering with Big Brothers Big Sisters and I have my very own little sister! She is great. We have gone to the art festival, a super cool pet store (it was on the way to the zoo) and seen movies. She is seriously the bees knees. She is thirteen and I act like I am thirteen, so it works out great. We are even going to see "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" which is my favorite play. Which is pretty sad. But cool at the same time?

Yes it is, Chelsea.

Also, Harry Potter came out in July. I got to see it a day earlier than everyone else *Thursday at 4:15 PM* It made everyone jealous. Also, I sat between two guys and I bawled through the last half of the movie. Did I care that I was between two complete strangers that were also attractive guys? Of course not, because EVERYONE WAS DYING.

**Side note again: I also had to stop reading the book three times because I was crying that hard. I also could not stop crying for two days after finishing the book, so I had to start the series over.

So pretty much I have just been watching movies. Oh, and I have been reading a buttload. The mix is eclectic, but so is everything else in my life.

So I guess summer hasn't been TOO bad. I am not going to school this fall semester, so I guess I am just going to live in an endless summer
....that will get colder
...and darker
.....
but that means layers!

Cheers.
Ch.Wa.

No comments: