Saturday, January 17, 2009

Don't You Evah




Happy Saturday to all!






Today was a great, fun day for me. I slept in, having a dream with Burberry earmuffs and that I could travel through time by running around four chairs four times because it was divisible by pi. I really enjoyed that dream, actually. I don't know why. It was just so fascinating.



Anyway, continuing with my day, I got ready to go into the big city. No, not White Plains. THE city.



The Big Apple.



Manhattan.



New York City.



By myself!



It was great. Jeannie lent me her metro pass so that I didn't have to pay for a train ticket, which was fantastic of her to do. I boarded the train at eleven fifty, put on my ipod, and enjoyed the ride. It was a great, liberating feeling going into the city by myself. Just something about riding a train with fellow new yorkers, feeling like I am one of them, was very closing for me. I wanted to shout, "Yeah, I belong here now fools!" but I quietly sat with my ipod and solitaire.



So why did I treat myself to a big visit to the city? Well, my sister's favorite musical, Spring Awakening is closing on Sunday. We were going to go when we were there a couple weeks ago, but the only tickets they had left were one hundred twenty-two dollars. Ang didn't want to pay that price, but I was fine. In fact, I did spend that price. It was so worth it though.



After the train ride, I walked up to 49Th street and got some lunch at a place called Pax. It was alright with an attractive man sitting by a table next to me. Sadly, he was not interested. My hair was probably too crazy for him today. While sitting, I called my mom and was talking to her when a lady sat by me. She heard me talking about trying to find the nearest Anthropologie, when she chimed in and told me it was around 50Th and Fifth Ave. I thanked her, then proceeded to start a conversation. She, in fact, is a native to the city. She now lives in Florida, but flies to the city at least once a month, to visit family and to see plays. She was a very open and kind woman, and I needed to see someone like that today. So to Dave, not all new yorkers are asses and some actually are human. She was great and an angel in disguise.



After lunch, it was one thirty so I decided I should get my ticket so I could go into the theatre. Well, that plan didn't work out as I hoped. You see, there was a HUGE line to get into the theatre. And these were people with tickets. So after will call, I walked to the end of the line which was AT THE END OF THE BLOCK. It was crazy! So many people love that play and they wanted to be there. So after standing in the humid, windy, freezing air, I made it into the theatre. It was beautiful. The stage was all brick, with misc. pictures on the back of it. Purple velvet draped all the seats, while the ceiling shined with chandeliers and gold paint. I fell in love with that stage. It was just so incredibly ornate but homey at the same time. The scenery was simple. A couple of chairs, sometimes an end table. Costumes were non-flamboyant 19Th children's garb. The music?



Incredible.



So beautiful. So delicate. How the cello would whine at the beginning, with the glockenspiel chiming around seven notes. Then the voices! My goodness, my gracious, it was so amazing. Duncan Sheik outdid himself. Those young--most on their first debut--actors had the most beautiful voices. It was so worth the wait and the money.



I never thought I would see the things I saw on that stage. I don't even know if I can repeat them. I mean, if people find out that I know what masturbating is or sex, it might make them stroke out or something. It was so great though. It showed what everyone experiences when growing up and the dangers of being in the dark too long. The theories in it are so Freudian, which I love a good story with Freud's views of psychology and the personality. It was brutally honest and soul wrenching. I just loved the whole thing. It was beautiful. It was racy. It was just great. Great Broadway experience for me.



After the spectacular viewing of the show, I went to Rockefeller Plaza for some shopping. I went to Ann Taylor Loft, got some shops, then found Anthropologie. I really wish Ashlee were there with me to go in there. It was huge! We are both avid fans of that store. I browsed around and bought me a picture frame and some tights. I then proceeded to wander in the Met store, saw some Degas magnets, but did not buy, then went to NBC for some birthday gifts. But before all of this, I saw a hot pink mini cooper limousine. It was the craziest thing I have seen in my life! I ran frantically after it to take a picture with my phone to send to Ash. My goodness, it was out of control.



Did you know that I love NBC? I thought you didn't. Well, that store is amazing. It is all my favorite shows in one place. They had a Mr. Bill doll and I wanted to buy it to send home to my parents, but of course, that place makes you pay out of the butt. So I bought some little things, then headed home.



I went to Barnes and Noble, bought a cd and hot chocolate (members get ten percent off on it, you know), then found the Grand Central Station. What a beautiful sight it is. After paying nine dollars for a quesadilla and walking up a stairwell that smelled of stale urine, I got on my train for some quiet time. The train ride home was great, and I am proud of myself for going to the city by myself. As my mom said, I am a big girl now. Even people here are surprised I went alone. It is funny, really, because it didn't weird me out at all. So now it is time to relax, plan next week's schedule, get some work done, and just love life. My second week is officially over. I love it here. I love my job. But most importantly, I love you all so much more than I did before I left. You are all too great to me. The Lord has blessed me well, and I am seeing that in this experience. I hope ya'll have a great sabbath tomorrow, and I will chime in soon enough.



Cheers.



Ch.Wa.

2 comments:

Laundry said...

freak! I'm jel! You need to read that note I have on facebook with all the things i'm gonna do whenand if i ever go to NY. lol. and put a check mark by everything you've done. That would be wicked sweet! So was it fun going there all by yourself???? everyone keeps telling me i'm insane for even wanting to go to new york. They think i am even more insane for not caring whether I go alone or not. You'll have to tell me on the second one if it's true. ;)
Glad you are having a blast!

Meg said...

Chels,
It's good to hear you are taking in the whole NY experience. Enjoy your life and the freedoms of being on your own...it's a big, amazing world out there. Call us for anything-
We love you
Megan and Ben...and the babe