Friday, April 8, 2011

חמש

Day five already here--and almost gone. This one will be fun though, promise

Day 5: Favorite memory

Memories, like the corners of my mind. Well, Barbara, I don't really think there are any corners in my memory...box. Ok, so I guess there would be, but still, let's pretend it is a nice oval. That is a nice shape.

This day challenge has had me really thinking though. I feel like I never remember anything, so it has been fun to really try to remember my favorite memory. So thinking it over, I have come to the conclusion that there are WAY too many favorite memories. For example
  • Going over to Grandma and Grandpa Burt's house. There are too many good memories from that house (i.e. the amazing swimming pool, the fourth of July, playing Pokemon cards with the cousins, having the cousins make me cry after they called me Satan, cleaning the house with my grandma on New Year's Eve because I was home alone and scared of a thunderstorm, etc.) But my favorite memory would be with Grandpa Burt. You see, grandpa really never made anything in the kitchen. Even though he never cooked or anything like that, he would always make me peanut butter and jelly (homemade raspberry, of course) sandwiches. These sandwiches were special though. After he would make the sandwich, he would get a jam lid and press it in the center of the sandwich, making a circle PB&J. I loved it when he would make me sandwiches. Those sandwiches, clocks, and him playing the piano are the things that remind me of gramps. Great memories.
  • I would love the times when McCall and I would play together. Pet Shop toys and Barbies ruled our worlds. The best thing that we would do, though, was get her dog Licks all hyped up and have him run around the couch in this mad dash while we would stand on the couch and scream. That always put Melinda in a tizzy. That, and playing Tom Petty's "Free Falling" full blast with us jumping off the couch and shouting the words were some great memories with her.
  • The trip with my mom, Aunt Jenny, the boys, Ang, and me to Las Vegas was great. Having my mom and aunt do hand actions to Alanis Morissette's song "One Hand in my Pocket" while driving the van was great.
You know, thinking about this makes me realize that any memory with my family-good or bad-are my favorite memories. We have had some great times and even through our down moments, we have always been able to pull together and show our love for each other even more. One of the biggest memories that I have is when my brother and sister-in-law rented a red convertible Mustang, picked me up in Harrison, and got me out of my nannying job. I was such a mess because there were so many emotions, but I will never forget how much that meant to me. There are some great and crazy things we do for the people we love. So it is fun to look at any memory and find something good from it. You are able to see how really stupid you were, how scary that moment was, or just relish in the joy you felt. With every memory that I have, I feel some sense of joy because I am able to see how that incident in my life, and how I remember it, helped to shape me into the person I am today.

In short, every memory that I have is my favorite memory. How lucky am I for that?
Extremely lucky.

Cheers.
Ch.Wa.


No comments: